This is a question that our clients regularly ask. It’s also one that’s important to get right.
The disco / dance section of your party is inevitably the culmination of your celebration. Guests have been fed and watered, speeches have been delivered, peripheral entertainment has done its job and kept your guests amused up until this point, while you’ve done the rounds and greeted all your friends. But now it’s time to let your hair down and really get the party started. You want to make sure that everyone’s on the dance floor, that there’s music to suit the occasion and that you close out the evening on a huge high.
You can achieve this with a live band or with a DJ, but let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of each:
- A DJ is generally going to be less expensive than a live band and their package price will usually include a certain amount of lighting (not the case with bands).
- Having a DJ gives you access (via the internet) to pretty much every song ever written, so on-the-night requests can be granted there and then.
- Make sure the DJ has experience of your type of function. A great club night DJ could end up a disastrous option for a 50th birthday party.
- There is nothing quite like live music, and a live band will absolutely raise the bar in terms of energy, ambiance and excitement.
- Once again, weddings, bar mitzvahs and corporate functions all have their own idiosyncrasies, so make sure you choose a band that really does have the relevant experience. Better still, go and see them in action on a similar event.
- Make sure you go for a good sized band. Enough to really have an impact but not so large that it overwhelms everything else. Take into account the number of guests and the size of the room.
- Be aware that bands usually offer between 2 or 3 sets over a 4 hour period. They won’t be playing non-stop throughout your event but will be able to put on background music during their ‘down’ times.
Some DJs can offer you a ‘half-way’ solution, often called ‘DJ Live’, in which you can add a singer or two for live vocals over the DJ’s backing tracks. Saxophonists and percussionists are really effective as well.
KP Events can guide you through the decision making and ensure you end up with a fitting finale to your night of fun.